Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Coffee Stop

I sat at the sunny window of Starbucks, cradling my drink, looking out the window absently, and scribbling a note or two with only half a heart. 

Sunlight splashed onto the fountain just outside on the platform, where people gathered and then scattered, like tides of the ocean. A young boy and his little sister raced towards their dad, who leaned against the fountain pouring into his phone, his children’s voice washing over him without effect.  The chased each other some more, the girls hair flew up, like dark curly bubbles riding with wind and waves. After a while, they sat down to devour a coffee cake, snuggling close against dad. The girl’s feet dangling from the edge of the fountain, her ballet slipper, silvery and sparkly, dangling from her feet.

Soon the young family left, leaving the fountain flowing yet empty. The pristine base caught the light, remembering that lone silver slipper dangling from the girl’s toes.  Lives came and went all around it, dangling also, frail and soft, empty vessels, suspended until a spark of light hits so they too, could shine.

14 comments:

  1. Your posts are fast becoming blessings in my day. :) Always leaving a little smile on my face after reading them.

    This was beautiful, reminding me of all the people I observe in a day. All the magical moments that I don't get the chance to record. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post! So gentle and kind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely writing!
    Made me happy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gentle, thoughtful, and a bit sad.
    Like all people observed, we might wonder where they came from, and where they are going.
    And we might continue to be haunted by the image of the dangling slipper.
    Thanks for your visit; good to see you "at home."
    Blessings and Bear hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh this is gorgeous! thanks for sharing this kind, poetic observation. You are so perceptive and these words warmed me this morning. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for stopping by my blog! I always appreciate your comments!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh what a lovely post! sparkly and dangling like our lives :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cheery and gentle...I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So wistful...like how you compare humans congregating to tides of the ocean. And the little girl's dangling slipper is such a sweet image.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ahh, such beautifully recounted observations, what a lovely snapshot you've taken!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the tone of this piece. It sounds like a fountain I've seen before.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you everyone for your kind and supportive comments.

    ReplyDelete

Reply?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...