Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Closure

It's one of those shops with a quaint old name -- "The Bookends" or something like that.  Between its creaky old floors and forest of shelves, I walked slowly with purpose, lest I disturbed the elfin atmosphere floating about like mists.  Pulling a shadowy spine towards me, I half expected to have to blow off dusts from its yellowing pages.  If an elf materialized from his perch atop a shelf and winked, I might just smiled and said hello.  I knew better; it's how I loved walking in here feeling like I'd stepped into another century.   

The coffee shop next door sells freshly made cookies, muffins and magic bars besides freshly brewed coffee with aromas that filled the two story building of shops. A  half door opened to the bookstore in a way that made you remember sweet fragrances between pages, bites or sips whenever either name comes up in conversation. 

The Bookends (let's call it that for now) had never been so crowded as to be deemed "popular".  But gatherings such as book groups prospered here once, after the owner removed or relocated a number of shelves to make room for a large wooden table and straight backed chairs.  So I'd see advertisements about various kinds of word lovers meetings. When I walked in, I'd hear hushed whispers shielded by the stacks. They huddled under a pool of light drinking in kindred spirits and warm mugs of java.  I imagined it attracted the lofty literary types, seeing as how they stocked rather unique books like "The Prospector".  But I also encountered several gatherings of youngsters carrying tattered books and even more tattered laptops. They grew particularly popular after the entire wall bordering the coffee shop was removed and in its place several inviting tables stained in walnut moved in. 

Only later on did I realize the owners did these to strive against their online competitions, where within seconds desires could be fulfilled with sparks of electrons gathered behind the screens and amongst wires.  Some said elves hid there too.  The fight seemed universal and failing as I soon heard the news of 200 plus store closures from Borders and grieved.  I loved my online alternatives yet I'd never wanted to part with the real stores, like the one overlooking San Francisco's Union Square.  I rested hopes in the Bookend's clever strategy of supporting author signings, writing workshops, and book readings, rejoiced over its choice location near the beach, in a busy shopping center, and next to a beloved coffee spot.

Then one day I came and realized even more shelves had disappeared.  A newly exposed skylight from the vaulted ceiling brought in high wattage sunlight while dispelling all sense of mystery that used to cloak nooks and crannies here.  Now the center of the store displayed artful antiques for sale -- the ones I've always admired here but would never have known what to do with them myself.  I ran my fingers over the painted surface of a wooden marry-go-around horse, thinking how tough it must be to say goodbye again to a once cherished home and where would it go next.   Where would those African masks and potteries with a voodoo flair go, and the model airplanes that used to twirl between shelves? Together with the darkened woodwork, handmade crochet pillows and the forest of printed books they spoke a languid and rich tongue of the past, one trending towards obsolete in the ages of electrons, ever shortening attention spans and written character limits.

I hugged my copy of The Prospector and walked to the counter to check out, like I'd done so many times before with books I don't need but wanted.  The proprietor smiled as usual and pointed out the wisdom in my choice, like she sometimes did but other times she just nodded and called a book "a fun read".

"Are you selling your furniture?"  I probed, hoping it was not as obvious as it sounded.

"Yes.  And all the decorations..." 

"Oh..., What will become of this place?"

I asked hoping she will say, perhaps another bookstore.

"I don't know.  That's a question for the new owner."

She finally let out an air of resignation, and handed me my final purchase.  I gave her an awkward smile goodbye and took another look around. The bright airy new atmosphere seemed jarring somehow, like watching a pink ballet skirt thrown over tweed, or red lipsticks painted above five o'clock shadows.  The elves, if there were any to begin with, slipped away one by one, leaving gaping holes among the shelves here and there.  And slowly they merged to form a dark pit, into which the cheers and lively spirits of the bygone store sank, cried out and then was no more.

It wasn't long until when I walked by and saw an emptied out store.  Even the large center skylight had failed to illuminate.  My coffee in hand, I pressed my nose against the window pane until memories came back like pages of illustrations.  In years past, we had sat inside hugged by a circle of yellow light,  leaning into our favorite corner of the store stuffed with soft pillows and cushioned low benches.  We had spread out smiling as lazily as Egyptian royals reclining on their divans, cozy under our blankets of songs, verses and stories.

As I walked away, that yellow light glowed on, long after the pages were shut.

17 comments:

  1. This is wonderful, full of dispair, but wonderful. There are few things I love more than a cozy wing back chair, a cup of coffee or tea, and a good book.

    These are the kinds of places I enjoy most, and unfortunately they are getting shoved out by technology. Thank you for reminding me of their magic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a delightful post! I love the way you write with colorful imagery and whimsy!

    I'm sorry about the book store closing. You conveyed well how special and unique it was.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was tragic. It reminded me very much of a small used bookstore that was once attached to a coffee house I would frequent, before said bookstore was turned into a wine bar for the hipster clientele that came to infect the coffee house/used bookstore I once so loved.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Simply beautiful.

    I can't wait to read some more here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this post, but couldn't help but wish it had been accompanied by a photo of the book shop.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really beautiful writing Shopgirl. So affecting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post. I could smell the cookies and coffee, old books, and dusty shelves. Heaven for me!

    I love those kind of bookstores. It's sad to see them go one by one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You wrote this so beautifully! As a former bookstore owner, I am so sad when I hear of another bookstore going by the wayside. We will miss the feel they gave us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I shouldn't be surprised that everyone had a favorite store like this that they remembered. It's no small comfort to hear that.

    Technogran I wish I had a picture too, it's another aspect of regret I suppose - I was in denial for quit a while.

    Terri Tiffany, I'd hoped though the larger chain would perish there'd be more neighborhood (boutique) stores that stayed. Still hoping I suppose.

    Thanks everyone who visited and commented. Oh, Robbie, I am not sure I get wine bars but perhaps that's because I am not hip. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really admire how you describe your experiences. Your words make me see, make me feel, make me taste everything you had. Splendid.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice tribute to a beloved bookstore. Gosh, with the rise of e-books I 'm afraid this is the sad future for places like this. I live in a town of 50,000 and we have 5 book stores; we try to patronize all of them.

    I just love the feel and smell of old books.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, I feel like I just lost a bookstore of unique value. I just love the way you write, if we lived closer I know we would meet in my coffee shop, "Cafe Cottage" filled with Artist hopefuls and classic Geeks who knew where to get a good cup Joe, as I call it. This place has always held a special place in my heart such as your bookstore. Great Read and I haven't read this book you bought, do tell what it's about- I may have to purchase today

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amazingly, the mom and pop bookstore I used to frequent in Boston is still operating. But they struggle, and I wonder for how long they will hold on.
    It's sad that bookstores are slowly going the way of the dinosaur. Especially the smaller independents. It's quite hard to believe, because so many people I know support bookstores. Sadly, not enough, I guess.
    Wonderful (but sad) story, Shopgirl.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What will life be like w/ only virtual stores? I'll have to check up on my favorite bookstore, but it's an hour south of me. I can't imagine it going away!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you Jill. I guess that's a bit far. Maybe one day when you are in the neighborhood.

    It is tough Jayne, as you said. The issue with economy and shelf space can't be completely ignored.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Brings back memories of bookstores and card shops from a while back. So sad to see them go, but then I am as much to blame as anyone else for the loss of the small stores, where do I shop? Big box book stores.

    ReplyDelete

Reply?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...