Monday, January 31, 2011

Sunday Indulgence

After a close and personal encounter with a rattle snake, putting out a small kitchen fire and finding an entire bag of marshmallow down my toilet, I decided to celebrate survival this morning with a healing meal of pure junk.


The cafe is already buzzing with people when S, a neighbor and I walk in, yet no one seems to be eating anything.  Not the pair of teenagers who got up early to neck in the corner; nor the young mother watching her toddlers hanging upside down from the booth; or the thirty something clean shaven guy in full business attires pecking on his computer; and certainly not the older yet distinguished looking gentleman in neat polo shirt and gray slacks reading the morning news.  Though the warm sunshine made everyone look soft and radiant, happy and glowing, they also looked a bit hungry, maybe even emaciated.  

I order my usual chocolate croissant plus a caramel mocha.  Then my eyes caught an unfamiliar shape in the display case, a miniature chocolate cake, named chocolate banana surprise.  I order it without asking what the surprise was.  It turns out to be a dollop of banana cream in the center but the best part was the chocolate layer outside.  Smooth, rich and thick, it was bittersweet and perfect in between sips of my mocha and bites of the croissant.  S stares at me in disbelief, but she dives into a danish and a latte with an equal abandon.  We let crumbs drop and coffee mustaches form, enjoying the sensation of waking up every cell to that first shot of caffeine and sugar.

But of course the morning wasn't complete without the chance meeting of another friend H who implored us to stay longer and, have another "snack".  We oblige and I order an old fashioned chocolate covered donut because I love its slightly crunch texture, and S getting a muffin.  We each get a refill on our drinks as well.  It is becoming like a little party with all the food spreading out in front of us and extra chatter flying away from us like a little cloud of roasting marshmallows fumes or the smoke rising from a little kitchen fire, carrying away anxieties and an occasional giggle or two with it.

As we head out the door to go about our errands or sugar comas for the rest of the day, we get another refill and a snack for the road.  Everything is starting to seem pretty hilarious at this point and while goodbyes were said dozens of times, we struggled to find ways to actually stop talking, as the conversations had a tendency to speed up rather than slow down whenever an urgency to wrap up the parting process increased.

 It is a sweet sorrow indeed, sometimes.

26 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had yourself a nice little day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post made me smile! The details you gave allowed me to clearly picture the scene...Glad you enjoyed yourself. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks delicious, I love hot chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  4. my day in a sentence - It was a nice day though nothing little about it. :)

    Jade - I am so glad. That's exactly what I was hoping to achieve

    Angela - Hot, cold, room temp I can never have enough chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm drooling over the photos. I live in the country and unless I bake I'm able to resist such temptations by their absence. LOL. I'm be a rolli-polli if I lived where you do. Thanks for following my blog. Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This seems like a perfect start of a day to me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmm, I want to eat that chocolate covered donut.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, Shopgirl, this was a sweet indulgence to read! Sometimes there is no better healing balm than "pure junk".
    (My gosh, what a way to wake up!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. i'm craving for chocolate now! i'm going to meet with my girlfriend in a few hours, catching up and endless life updates in a coffee shop, maybe we should order what guys did!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I actually went and got a chocolate bar after reading this. Now THAT is influential writing!

    www.rantychantykoko.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Joylene - What an image. My friend told me I gotta stop eating like this or I'd have to roll through the door. Great minds.

    EW - you're welcome.

    Starlight - Not everyday, but definitely on Sunday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Heather - you have good tastes!

    Jayne - I was awake for quite a while let's just say. :)

    Maria - You go girl.

    ReplyDelete
  13. etoile - wow that is influential. I do hope you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. mmmmmm. You're making me hungry. What a great way to spend a day, yummy food and unexpected friends! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow both of those look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  16. After seeing the pic, my craving for chocolate is coming back with as much as force i use to put it away. Well, I 've decided to let my craving win and I'm heading to the nearby cafe for my own indulgence.

    ReplyDelete
  17. A rattlesnake, a fire AND marshmallows down the loo? Wow, you sure know how to snare a reader into your first sentence (giggle)!

    What a beautiful account of friendship, gluttony and serendipitous encounters.. I think I may have to pull up a stool to continue evesdropping..!

    ReplyDelete
  18. No one is eating because they are all on diets.

    ReplyDelete
  19. C.R. - I'm glad to help. It's not always like that so when it happens I definitely try to savor it. :)

    Raw - Both, and more...

    Runaway - Sorry to awake those put away cravings, but what were you doing putting them away anyways?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Shrinky - What a lovely comment that is, I feel perfectly understood. Thank you.

    Caterpillar - and it was...

    LSLW - Welcome to my blog and I'm so glad you picked that up. I thought so...

    ReplyDelete
  21. I must find that chocolate donut and eat it. How wonderful to have great friends to share it with!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is NOT the post to read when you're very hungry and craving something sweet and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  23. T. Anne - The old fashioned kind is the best. I hope you find it and love it.

    Melissa - Haha I hope you enjoy your sweet treat this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Mm. Reading this just made me salivate. Thick bittersweet layer of chocolate.....*drool* ...making me want to break my diet and eat a bunch of chocolate ;)

    I loved reading this! It was fun, perfectly descriptive, and light-hearted <3

    ReplyDelete

Reply?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...